Python COM win32ui examples/tutorials?

Markus Wankus markus_wankus at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 17 08:50:10 EST 2003

Hi,

I have been wallowing in my own ignorance with Python, COM, and win32ui.  I
know there are examples and tutorials on the Mr. Hammond's website, but is
there a repository somewhere of more beginner-type samples, or just a whole
whack of example code?  Most importantly, how would I build simple GUI
components with only win32ui (like a toolbar, or popup menu)

I have gotten a Python COM server and client going no problem, but I am
trying to do more advanced things, and I just don't know enough about COM
to know how to do it.  Like, how would you go about building a toolbar with
win32ui.  Is it even worth trying, or should I just go back to wxPython -
which I know?

Also, can you attach to running applications, and create your own toolbars
within those apps?  I am connecting to an app with COM, and sucessfully
having it call Python functions from custom menu items (through it's
internal API to add your own menu items), but I can't use it's internal API
to add toolbars because it is expecting to talk to a .dll and get the
bitmap resources from the connecting .dll.  I am sucessfully creating the
toolbar, but the showing of the toolbar fails when it looks for the
resources.  I can't seem to find how to access resources properly with
win32ui.  I figured, maybe I could somehow attach to the running app, and
make win32ui think that app was it's parent, and create toolbars etc.
inside of it with the win32ui calls.  Maybe this is impossible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Markus