Overloading methods in C API

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz gradha at terra.es
Sun Jan 19 04:34:54 EST 2003

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 03:06:09AM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> The "+" operator can mean several things:
>
>  integer addition
>  pointer addition
>  floating point addition
>  unary postive
> [...]
> Back when I studied language design, that was called "operator
> overloading".
>
> Perhaps the definition has changed since then -- it was 15
> years ago.

Aah... thanks for your (and Eric's) answer. I understand your point
of view now. So basic things, and never had thought of them! You
are right in the "15 years ago" sentence, nowadays teachers are so
worried about carefully explaining C++'s class operator overloading
as a feature that they forget about the basics.