Stackless Python, Tail Recursion and Functional Programming

beno zope at thewebsons.com
Sat Jan 11 00:18:05 EST 2003

Hi;
Someone wrote me from this list advising me to drop my passion for
functional programming because Python doesn't optimize for it. Then I
remembered Cameron Laird's *Stackless Python*. Doesn't this take care of
this problem by converting the stack into a tree, just like XSLT? Doesn't
that make optimization for tail recursion a cake-walk? And, if so, if I
implement the necessary changes to my Python distro, can I write recursive
programs without worrying about optimization problems?
TIA,
beno