When do you need path config files (.pth)?

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Wed Jan 8 13:09:03 CET 2003

A user of Python Universe Builder complained that the package installation
doesn't create a path configuration file (pub.pth), and that this kept him
from importing the package.

However, I don't have this file, and it imports just fine:

>>>import pub

Why might that be?

He's using Python 2.2.2 and I'm using 2.2.1 and we're both using Linux.

It's not so much that I object to making any changes, just that I don't
understand why it should work on one system and not on the other.  I figure
there must be something else missing, or perhaps environment settings.

Anansi Spaceworks