best way to do some simple tasks

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Thu Jan 30 05:20:35 EST 2003

Erik Lechak wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am transitioning from perl to python.  I find myself trying to do
> many things in a perlish way.  Perl made many common tasks such as
> string manipulations easy (in a perlish sort of way).  So I was
> wondering if someone could suggest the "pythonish" way of doing these

I see you have received many helpful answers to your specific
questions so i'm not going to dwell on them.  However, you may
also want to look into the book "Perl to Python Migration", by
Martin Brown, Addison-Wesley.  I have not examined it in detail
myself, and the reviews are a bit mixed, but overall positive --
it might suit your needs quite well.

Alex