patching of python: tabs make me seek of python

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 29 11:47:52 EST 2003

Alex:
> Convert your boss to vim!  It can be used as a strict superset of
> vi.  As a vi fanatic myself, I see NO reason to keep using the
> old, limited vi, when vim's SO good these days.  vim can easily
> be configured to expand all tabs to spaces, btw.

I know one person who has the source code to vi from about 15
years ago.  When he goes on a new machine, he recompiles it.

I pointed out that vim exists, is more powerful and more featureful.

He replied that it changed one behaviour that he wants.  He would
rather recompile (and tweak) the codebase he knows than to figure
out a new one.

What's different?  I don't remember.  I have vague recollections
that his copy of vi doesn't have multiple undo, and an undo twice
is the same as an undo/redo.  vim has multiple undo, so acts
different in that one respect.

I don't understand it either.

But he has (after years of prodding) decided that Python's an
okay language.  Not that he's going to program in anything other
than C.

Hmmm.... I see there is a strict vi compatibility mode for vim.
Maybe I should point that out to him.  But odds are he's the
sort that would rather configure things in C than change a config
file.  :)

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com