Distributing Python apps

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Sun Jan 5 01:55:17 EST 2003

> In the end, I request that you very capable Python experts give
> me a way to
> give my customers a 750 KB app.
>
> That's not too much to ask, I think.  It's been done, by every other major
> software company.
>
> Norm

But Python isn't a major software company - it's better! Unlike a typical
software company, including Microsoft (or Sun or Oracle or...), there are
not a few to a few dozen working on Python, there are hundreds of dedicated
individuals freely contributing their efforts to making a quality product.
Commercial software ventures can't begin to afford the level of effort and
equivelent cost that Python's cummulative development has taken, including
the 100's of free and unencumbered (i.e. free and freely reusable) addons
and applications that are part of the Python universe. Even the one company
most directly connected with current Python evolution, Digital Creations,
does not charge for the huge coordination effort that's involved in getting
high quality Python distribuitions out on a regular basis.

I've contracted at Microsoft and can tell you that the number of people
assigned to major products for development (not counting marketing,
management, administration, tech support and "evangalism") would stun you in
terms of their relatively tiny numbers. (There's a reason why MS has over
$40 billion in cash reserves and it has nothing to do with getting a quality
product to the consumer!) It's no wonder Steve Ballmar, current CEO of
Microsoft (Gates is currently CTO IIRC), has described Free Software as
Microsoft's biggest enemy.

It's simply not possible to deliver the power, expressiveness and
flexibility of Python in 750kb including your app. There is no high level
language that can do that when a GUI is included and the support code has to
be included in the distribution.

I think people here are ready to assist you in accomplishing what can be
done, but don't have time to spend on what can't. I regret that the answer
you want isn't the one that's available. YOU can give your customers a 750kb
app (if you end up needing that much room!), but the support code is extra
and there's no way around it no matter what avenue you take unless you're
willing to put up with what Microsoft allows you.

David LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA