Open MS Excel Spreadsheet with Python

Antti Kaihola akaihola at ambi-spam-me-not-tone.com
Fri Jul 18 17:58:13 EDT 2003

There's an excellent utility called xlhtml, which converts XLS
spreadsheets to HTML files, available at
http://chicago.sourceforge.net/xlhtml/

I made a simple Python wrapper, which uses xlhtml and parses the
converted spreadsheet into a Python Numeric array. As I didn't need to
do any calculations with the data, you only get cell contents as string
objects at this time.

Note that using this method you only need freely available tools, no
excel or windows. Also, it isn't necessary to open and save the
spreadsheet as a CSV or XML file, which is nice if you need to batch
process lots of spreadsheets.

Take a look at akaihola.iki.fi/comp/python and drop me a note if you
make improvements to the code.

Antti