emacs python-mode questions: C-c C-c and broken docstring fill

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sun Jul 27 11:48:15 EDT 2003

    John> 1. Why do I get this in my minibuffer when I do C-c C-c in a
    John> python-mode buffer containing the following valid Python code?

    John> Wrong type argument: sequencep, cpython

It looks like a bug in py-execute-region.  It sets the shell variable like
so:

        (setq shell (or (py-choose-shell-by-shebang)
                        (py-choose-shell-by-import)
                        py-which-shell))))

which gives it the value (quote cpython).  Later on it tries to concatenate
it:

      (let ((cmd (concat shell (if (string-equal py-which-bufname "JPython")
                                   " -" ""))))

which fails because shell is not a string (strictly speaking, a sequence) at
that point.  I'm not sure what the correct fix is.

    John> 2. A while ago I 'upgraded' to a version of python-mode (from
    John> somewhere on sourceforge, I think -- perhaps Python CVS, don't
    John> remember) which somebody here claimed was able to fill comments
    John> without needing blank lines before and after the comment.  It does
    John> do that, but the new version also breaks filling text in
    John> docstrings (under particular circumstances which I haven't figured
    John> out, but which occurs very frequently).  I get something like:
    John> "The parameter start is not the beginning of a python string".
    John> Where does the latest python-mode live, and is this fill bug with
    John> docstrings fixed?

Can you file a bug report with a small failing example?  Assign it to me
(montanaro).

Skip