Papers on Python

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Wed Jul 30 07:30:32 EDT 2003

In article <bg4mp7$jke$1 at slb6.atl.mindspring.net>,
Andrew Dalke <adalke at mindspring.com> wrote:
>Rick:
>> But then I got thinking. What are the 5 (or 6 or 7 or 10) most seminal
>> papers in the history of Python in the opinion of members of this
>> newgroups?
>
> - Lutz Prechelt's paper comparing C, C++, Perl, Java, Tcl, Python, and
>    a couple more languages, all on the same non-trivial task
>
> - Greg Stein's paper at the San Jose conference (1998), on how his
>     company used Python to make a commercial web app then sold it
>     to Microsoft - helped convince me people could make money doing Python
>
>  - not really a paper, but reading through the tutorial and the library
>docs
>     back in 1997 were what convinced me that Python was the language for
>me.
>     It still took 2 years before I could use it -- too much preexisting Tcl
>and Perl
>     code.
			.
			.
			.
Somewhere between academic papers and Usenet discussions,
examples of each of which have already been recommended to
you, are magazine articles.  Last millenium, I wrote several
that *still* appear to attract readers, to my surprise.  If
my e-mail is an apt indication,
  "Python as a First Language"
  www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2000/06/02/magazine/python_first_language.html

  "Getting Started With Python"
  web.archive.org/web/20010201170400/http://www.sunworld.com/sunworldonline/swol-02-1998/swol-02-python.html

  "Batteries Included"
  web.archive.org/web/20001013152452/http://sunworld.com/swol-12-1998/swol-12-regex.html

are among those influential out of proportion to their artistic
merit.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net