Server Push

Dale Strickland-Clak dale at
Fri Jul 4 16:31:08 CEST 2003

John Bradbury pushed the bounds of literature with:

> I want to send updates from a long running cgi.  I have tried copying
> perl examples of server push and can not get them to work.
> Does anyone have an idiot proof example of a working server push or
> sending output in chunks in Python?
> Thanks
> John Bradbury

I'm not sure what you mean by 'server push' but if you want to update a
web page progressively, you have to make sure that your web server isn't
buffering. I think IIS does buffer by default.

You can then send out incremental updates to the page using print from a
CGI script. Bear in mind though that the web page must suite this type of
update. Also, some browsers might not display it correctly until they
have the </html> tag.

Dale Strickland-Clark
Riverhall Systems Ltd,