OT, was: Re: needs a logo

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 24 18:22:41 EDT 2003

This is way OT but...

On 23 Jul 2003 02:44:05 -0700, xah at xahlee.org (Xah Lee) wrote:

> Better logos should be reminiscent to what it represents. Good
> example's are ... Shell's seashell,

I remember my grandfather telling me that the Shell  logo
originated around WW2 time and it represented a shell exploding
(message => dynamic powerful company) on a building
and was in two colors. After the war it was deemed
a bad marketing image to use warlike logos so they
"re-badged" the company as being around sea shells and
the logo changed to what we know today.

I've never seen any other reference to this anywhere.
Does anyone know of a source (another grandfather?!)
that can confirm or deny this?

Just curious,

Alan G.