[Edu-sig] Re: Least used builtins?

urnerk at qwest.net urnerk at qwest.net
Sat Jul 5 22:24:45 EDT 2003

Just to represent another viewpoint, I'll say that what's in builtins has
nothing to do with what does or does not make sense to the beginner.
It's a set of tools, including some low level ones that only make sense
to a non-newbie.  Likewise, 'copy' isn't there in a generic sense
(it's there for dicts, which are builtin and sport a copy method), because
the pro doesn't need it that often.  What does or doesn't make sense to the
newbie is irrelevant.  A language need not be designed based on that
perspective, to be good.  It's the job of teachers to smooth the on ramp,
and in that regard, just don't teach all the builtins to start.  Just
because they're all builtins doesn't mean each must be tackled in order,
one by one.  The strikes me as unimaginative, plodding.

Kirby

http://mail2web.com/ .