Python..Tkinter..PYTHONPATH..

Curt curty at free.fr
Wed Jul 30 11:07:44 EDT 2003

On 29 Jul 2003 11:54:16 -0700, q wrote:

> I have a Linux RH8.0 system. I installed Python2.2 from the 8.0 ISO
> updates. I installed the Tcl 8.3.3 from the Tcl site... I also
> installed the tcllib 1.0.

> My goal is to get viewcvs to run. However, when I check to see where
> the system thinks things are, the PYTHONPATH env var is blank.

> echo $PYTHONPATH --> produces nothing....

It produces nothing on my system either, because I haven't set that
environment variable.  I haven't needed to.  The installation-dependant
default works fine.

> So, can anyone tell me what it should say? Can anyone shed any light
> as to how this var is populated, and why it might be blank....? Can
> anyone suggest what file I need to alter/should modify to have this
> properly set whenever a user logs into the system....?

Well, my understanding as a complete and utter oldie but newbie is that
it should point to where your python modules are located.  It has the
same syntax as the shell PATH variable.

If your shell is bash, you can set it for all users in /etc/profile,
well, at least you can in Slackware.

export PYTHONPATH=/path/to/modules:/path/to/other/modules