new in town

David McNab postmaster at 127.0.0.1
Sat Jul 12 23:22:30 EDT 2003

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 21:07:48 +0000, Elaine Jackson paused, took a deep
breath, then came out with:

> Thank you.

Elaine,

Firstly, the McMillan Installer suggested to you is indeed very good, and
in nearly all cases creates fully standalone packaged apps for windows. If
ever it fails (rare cases), you can also try py2exe. Getting it to create
independent runtime packages on Linux could be problematic, but this is
less of an issue since any decent Linux system has Python installed or
available on tap.

Secondly, I can't see why some people accused you of being vague and
flippant. Your original enquiry was clear enough to me - you want to take
your python code and turn it into a form where it can be deployed on any
target system without bothering or confusing users by making them install
a python environment. A very clear and reasonable ask.

Do please persist with python, and don't let any pedantry on this group
get to you. The Python community on the whole is very friendly and
supportive. Add to this the marvel of a pain-saving language that Python
is, and you'll be feeling totally at home in a short time.

You can also get very fast answers to your questions in the IRC channel
#python on irc.freenode.net. Most people there are very welcoming of newer
python converts.

One caveat - please be warned that if you spend more than a little time
with Python, you'll develop a discomfort and dislike of other languages to
the point where you won't want to program in anything else. For instance,
I switched from PHP to Python 6 months ago. I used to like PHP, but I
can't stand it now. But maybe that's a *good* thing.

Have fun in your travels.

Cheers
David