delete file

Peter Hansen peter at
Fri Jul 11 15:47:25 CEST 2003

lamar_air wrote:
> Peter Hansen <peter at> wrote in message news:<3F0D962E.23DA9F59 at>...
> > "Bartolomé Sintes Marco" wrote:
> > >
> > > I have a program that unzip some zip files. After unzipping them,
> > > I want to delete the zip files with os.remove, but I get this error:
> > > OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ....
> >
> > Close the files properly after unzipping them, perhaps?  If that
> > doesn't help, please specify operating system, and give details
> > on how you are unzipping.  Is it using Python's zipfile module,
> > or some other method, and exactly how do you do it?
> I want to be able to delete a file on my C: drive through my python
> script.  My script writes a file. So i want to delete the file if it
> already exists then write it.  What's the best way to do this?

Your question is still not clear, if it's the same as the original
question.  Please read
for assistance in formulating your questions a little better.

The simplest answer is that if *you* are creating the files, you
just open them with "w" mode (as in "f = open('filename', 'w')")
and it will automatically truncate the file if it already exists.

Hoping that helps,