How to get Windows physical RAM using python?

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 30 16:59:34 EDT 2003

[Mark wrote]
> OK, How to check the amount of Windows physical RAM using python?

Well, I thought it was going to be simple, but I didn't figure
Microsoft into my considerations :-(

There's a Windows statistics module, an interface to the MS
"Performance Data Helper", as part of the Mark Hammond's Win32
Extensions, which you should install.

http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/

There are code samples in the following files after install

%PYTHONHOME%\Lib\site-packages\win32\lib\win32pdhutil.py
%PYTHONHOME%\Lib\site-packages\win32\lib\win32pdhquery.py

The following piece of code gives you lots of statistics about
'Memory'

#-------------------
import    win32pdh

items = win32pdh.EnumObjectItems(None, None,\
	 "Memory", win32pdh.PERF_DETAIL_WIZARD)[0]
for stat_name in items:
    query = win32pdh.OpenQuery()
    subquery = win32pdh.MakeCounterPath(\
    	(None,'Memory',None,None,-1,stat_name) )
    handle_on_sample = win32pdh.AddCounter(query, subquery)
    win32pdh.CollectQueryData(query)
    wtfit, value = win32pdh.GetFormattedCounterValue(\
    	handle_on_sample, win32pdh.PDH_FMT_LONG)
    print "%s%s= %d" % (stat_name, '\t'*(4-len(stat_name)//8), value)
    win32pdh.CloseQuery(query)
#-------------------

But unfortunately, I can't find a 'Total Physical RAM', or comparable,
value in the output. Which I would consider a bit of an oversight by
the provider, i.e. MS.

I've looked at the other statistics available, by running this piece
of code

#-------------------
import win32pdh
print "options = {}\n\n"
for o in win32pdh.EnumObjects(None, None, -1):
    items, instances = win32pdh.EnumObjectItems(None, None, o, -1)
    print "options['%s'] = [" % o
    for i in items:
        print "\t'%s'," % i
    print "]\n\n"

but I can't find 'Total Physical RAM' anywhere. Am I barking up the
wrong tree? Or just barking ;-)

regards,

--
alan kennedy