How to link a C extension module on Mac OS X?

Michael Hudson mwh at
Thu Jul 24 11:12:55 CEST 2003

Gerhard Häring <gh at> writes:

> Greg Ewing (using wrote:
> > Gerhard Häring wrote:
> >
> >> Two words: Use distutils.
> > And it turns out that, rather unintuitively, the way distutils
> > does it is that it *doesn't* try to create a dynamic library,
> > just an ordinary object file named with a .so suffix...
> Does that mean that distutils doesn't work on OS X?

It works.  Don't know why, mind -- the files end .so when shared
libraries usually end .dylib on OS X -- but it does.

  GAG: I think this is perfectly normal behaviour for a Vogon. ...
VOGON: That is exactly what you always say.
  GAG: Well, I think that is probably perfectly normal behaviour for a
      psychiatrist. -- The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, Episode 9