The ASPN compiler

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Jul 14 20:51:54 EDT 2003

clpy.NOSPAM at russellsalsbury.com (Russ Salsbury) writes:
[...]
> Well, folks, I actually went off and read the paper.  In spite of the
> declaration of success at the end of the paper, the project appears to
> have been just an academic proof of principle exercise.  The compiler
> is too slow to be of practical use and not much of the much of the
[...]

Since all they wanted to demonstrate was that "the .NET runtime and
Intermediate Language were capable of supporting the language", I
think somebody should have told Microsoft about this guy called
Turing.  With great foresight <wink>, he proved that the .NET runtime
*is* capable of supporting Python, which should have saved Mark & Greg
all that hard work.  <0.5 wink>

John