IMAP examples

Will Stuyvesant hwlgw at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 17 11:53:23 EDT 2003

> > I can't seem to find any decent examples on how to use the
> > IMAPLIB module. the docs aren't that sophisticated
> > unfortunately.... the cookbook entry comes close, but i'd
> > like to know if someone knows some nice examples somewhere.
>
> [Tony Meyer]
> What do you mean by decent?
>
> Spambayes (http://spambayes.org) has an IMAP filter, which is an example of
> using imaplib.  Whether it's decent or not, well... ;)

I think he means by decent examples:

 - concise

 - clear

 - showing general useful usage

 - showing peculiar usage in the case of warts

Looking into the (not concise) spambayes code for an example how to
use IMAP is *not* like looking at a decent example.  It is more like a
last resort.  Also looking at the Python Cookbook examples doesn't
help much because they are either not concise or too simplistic or
etc.  Designing decent examples is hard work.