[OT] Re: Single or Double quotes [was Re: PyQT, Sharp Zaurus and color in the QTextBrowser]

Sybren Stuvel sybrenUSE at YOURthirdtower.imagination.com
Tue Jul 15 07:06:09 EDT 2003

Jeremy Bowers enlightened us with:
> At no point is it ever specified either way in the XHTML
> specification, except by reference to the XML specification.

I'm sorry to tell you, but you're wrong in that. It is clearly stated in
the HTML 4.01 specification at
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.2

I found that by going to the index, looking up the item "attibutes" and
then clicking the link at "quotation marks around value". Not that hard
to find.

The XML specification of attributes can be found at
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-common-syn and is a little harder to
find, but not impossible.

Since XHTML 1.0 is defined as "A Reformulation of HTML 4 in XML 1.0",
this should be enough to also allow single and double quoted attribute
values in XHTML.

Sybren