Calculating Year, Month and Day of Life

hokiegal99 hokiegal99 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 5 13:48:31 EDT 2003

Hello,

I am a funeral director trying to write a small program that calculates
the number of years, months and days a person has lived by entering the
year, month and day of their birth. This is what I have so far:

#---------------------
from time import *
local = localtime()

print "Enter the year of birth:"; y = input()
print "Enter the month of birth:"; m = input()
print "Enter the day of birth:"; d = input()

age = y,m,d
print age
print local
#----------------------

The output looks similiar to this:
(1934, 2, 7)
(2003, 7, 5, 13, 20, 0, 5, 186, 1)

My problem is that localtime is a list of 9 integers while age is a list
of 3 integers. Is it possible to make localtime() only return the first
3 integers? If so, how would I then do calculations on the two lists'
individual parts? For example, how would I instruct localtime() to
subtract the first integer from age's list from the first intger in its
own list (2003 - 1934)?

Also, I am new to python, but I like it a lot and have picked it up
quickly. If my approach to this solving this problem is completely
wrong, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!!!