What does "*list" mean?

Diez B. Roggisch deets_noospaam at web.de
Thu Jul 31 19:46:55 CEST 2003

Greg Smethells wrote:

> What exactly does "*values" mean in the following code? Is this a
> pointer to a PyList? Why can I not find good documentation on this any
> where? I must be blind:

Just two days ago I had the same qustion, and I got this as answer from
Raymond Hettinger:

Regarding your C question: I didn't do such a thing, but *list only makes
the items of list be used as distinct arguments - so its more a matter of
the function signature you're calling. I'm sure you'll find something about
variable list arguments somewhere - that means that you function looks like

def foo(arg1, arg2, *args):