Stopping a loop with user input. in curses

Raymond Arthur St. Marie II of III rastm2 at aol.commorespam
Sun Jul 20 13:53:29 EDT 2003

Hey Alex,
I wrote a detailed explanation earlier today and it seams to have disappeared.
That's okay, because I had really beat up your code.

You know, it didn't occure to me till hours later that all you really had to do
is move the second while loop into the "theClock()" definition like this.

I move the second while loop into the "theClock()" function so that it handles
the key press. Then consolodated the while loops into one loop.
If the finished variable is 0(zero) then the loop continues else it breaks the
loop and the function has no where else to go but out.

The problem with your original code is that the call to "theClock()" function
never sees the 'q' key press because the second while loop never gets executed
while the first while loop is forever executing.

I don't have curses installed so I can't test this for you,  but it should
work.

# Import curses module

import curses, time
stdscr = curses.initscr()

def theClock():

    # Define global colour scheme
    curses.init_pair(1, curses.COLOR_WHITE, curses.COLOR_BLUE)

    # Get the screen size
    max_y, max_x = stdscr.getmaxyx()

    # Calculate the clock position relative to the screen size
    clock_x = max_x - 28

    # Draw the clock
    clockWindow = curses.newwin(3, 26, 1, clock_x)
    clockWindow.bkgd(' ', curses.color_pair(1))
    clockWindow.box()
    clockWindow.refresh()

    # If 'q' is pressed, exit
    finished = 0
    while not finished:    # finished = 0 until the 'q' key is pressed
    c = stdscr.getch()
    if c == ord('q'):
        curses.beep()
        finished = 1