How do I get info on an exception ?

Cameron Laird claird at
Tue Jul 22 18:44:04 CEST 2003

Raymond Hettinger <python at> wrote:
>> >You could catch it with:
>> >
>> >            except socket.herror, inst:
>> >                  print inst.args
>> >
>> >or more broadly with:
>> >
>> >             except socket.error, (errno, string_message):
>> >                   print code, message

>> >The list of possible socket exceptions is in the docs for sockets.
>> >It also describes the (errno, string) return tuple value of inst.args.
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> True.
>> But unsatisfying--at least to me.
>Submit a patch.
I deserved that.

There was more to my post, of course.  Part of what I was trying to
express is that exception interfaces are almost always relegated to
a footnote, with only a generalized description, even in the frequent
case that a method's exceptions are more complicated than its invoca-

Rather than tilt at the collection of all such windmills, I want to
first understand better why this is, and what response is appropriate.
To summarize:  I don't know what patch is the right one.  I also
thought it only fair to warn Mr. July that things are indeed more dif-
ficult than we were explaining, even though I didn't feel up to
detailing the difficulties.

So, Raymond, do you have general guidelines for how you think excep-
tions should be documented?

Cameron Laird <Cameron at>