newbie question: ImportError: No module named Numeric

rmachne rmachne at
Tue Jul 15 16:04:03 CEST 2003

Hi there,

Sorry, if there is a newbie list or this question is answered in tutorials
- I tried but without succes :-( -  here is my question:
Using linux,
I need the 'Numerical Python' package, and I installed it on my local
computer (not with the other packages in /usr/local/...) using

~/programs/Numeric-23.0>python install --home=/scratch/raim

but now the Numeric package / module can't be found:

~/programs/Numeric-23.0/Test> python
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "", line 2, in ?
    import Numeric
ImportError: No module named Numeric
Exit 1

 I couldn't find out which path variable to change or add. Can anyone
( works fine when called from within the lib folder with