Open MS Excel Spreadsheet with Python

Sybren Stuvel sybrenUSE at
Tue Jul 15 03:44:06 CEST 2003

Allison Bailey enlightened us with:
> I would like to open an existing MS Excel spreadsheet and extract
> information from specific worksheets and cells.

Save the files as spreadsheets. They have an
open format, which basically boils down to a few XML files zipped up and
named something.sxc. It's about 20 minutes to make a program that
parses it.

> I think I'm missing something fairly fundamental, but I've
> googled all over the place and can't seem to find anything very
> introductory about opening and using data from MS Excel using Python.

That's probably because most sensible Open Source users make sure they
don't come anywhere close to MS Office.