How to do raw Ethernet under Win32?

Grant Edwards grante at
Wed Jul 23 20:25:30 CEST 2003

How does one do raw Ethernet under Win32?  Ultimately, I want
to do it in a Python program, but if somebody can point me to a
clue on how to do it from C, I could probably figure out the

I want to:

 1) Send an arbitrary Ethernet packet.  [Well, not completely
    arbitrary, the source MAC will be "right", but the protocol
    number is a proprietary (not IP) one, and the packet isn't
    anything standard.

 2) Receive any incoming packets with a specified protocl
    number -- same proto number as in 1) above.
I've got a program that works under Linux, and I'd like to be
able to port it to Win32...

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I have seen these
                                  at               EGG EXTENDERS in my
                                 Supermarket... I have read