Sample Web application (Re: Python vs PHP)

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Jul 9 21:53:17 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 15:17, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> On 09 Jul 2003 12:34:46 -0500,
> 	Ian Bicking <ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:
> > One of the big problems I also had was installation.  Many of the
> > frameworks require non-trivial Apache configuration, which hinders
> > experimentation.  Actually solving this is significant work, though --
> > but also something which very much deserves solving.
>
> Why?  The purpose is to let users compare the structure of applications, not
> benchmarking.  I envision users browsing the code for each framework, never
> running anything until they've selected a framework and begun implementing
> an application.   Solving web server configuration problems is out of scope.

Evaluation of course only starts with reading, of course you are also
going to want to experiment directly with the system.

But more generally, I can't stand writing about how to work around
problems, when (as a programmer) it is within my power to fix those
problems.  It seems far better to spend time fixing problems than merely
documenting them.

The thing is, for many of the developers of these frameworks, the payoff
for improving installation isn't that big, because they wrote this for
themselves and they only have a handful of installations to do.  But
installation becomes a much bigger deal when considering larger
adoption, and I think installation is a major hindrance to Python's
adoption as a web programming language -- a combination off difficult
installation, and a lack of robustness and generality in installation
methods.

  Ian