[OT] SCO is Going After End Users

Russ Salsbury clpy.NOSPAM at russellsalsbury.com
Mon Jul 21 17:36:15 EDT 2003

ComputerWorld says that SCO is going to charge Linux end users a
license fee for "the opportunity to run Linux legally."
<http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/linux/story/0,10801,83287,00.html?nas=PM-83287>
 Lots of companies will pony up.

I realize that this is OT, but SCO's action strikes at the heart of
Open Source.  Somebody with the right patents can try to tax or shut
down the rest of us, regardless of the validity of their claims.  If
IBM, Red Hat, and the  decide that the the cost of settling is less
than the cost of litigation, we all loose.  Fortunally, the claim
against IBM is so big, $3B that they may fight it instead of settling.

-- Russ