anything like C++ references?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Jul 14 19:17:59 EDT 2003

Stephen Horne <intentionally at blank.co.uk> wrote:
> Ah - but this is also Pythons fault. It has arbitrarily redefined the
> meaning of a mathematics operator - presumably simply because C, C++,
> Java, Basic and others have done this in the past.
> [...]
> Personally, though, I'd go with Pascal on this one.

Most languages have two "equals" operators, one means assignment, the
other means test for equality.  Depending on the language, these are
spelled "=" and "==" or ":=" and "=" (or a few other variations).

The wierd thing is that I don't think either one really matches what a
mathematician means when he writes "=".  In math, "=" is neither an
assignment or a test: it's an assertion.