Reverse Engineering of Windows Distribution

Markus Stenzel m.stenzel at allanime.de
Mon Jul 7 10:42:46 EDT 2003

Product : Experimental BitTorrent Client (c)Bram Cohen
Modified: Eike Frost http://ei.kefro.st/projects/btclient/
License : MIT
Source  : Available (3.1-CVS-4, 3.2-1, 3.2.1b-1, 3.2.1b-2)

The Experimental BitTorrent is a GUI upgrade of the well known
BitTorrent file swarming application (c)Bram Cohen and released under
the MIT license.

Eike Frost modified the software to allow "bandwidth capping" to be
selected from the GUI to allow ACK messages to pass the upstream during
normal operation thus increasing overall efficiency.

However all versions mentioned above in the line starting with "Source"
_DO NOT_ run on Linux. 3.1-CVS-3, 3.2-1 and 3.2.1b-1 produce error
messages due to a few bugs handling the command line parameters.

The 3.2.1b-2 client DOES work on Linux but is running slowly and works
for single files only. When working with "batch torrents" it routinely
hangs during operation (even if it's not touched after it's launch)

The author Eike Frost doesn't offer the pre-3.1-CVS-3 source.

The windows version we have installed on Win32 is a pre 3-1-CVS-4
version. Now guess what.. ;))

 > Technically it is possible, but it's not trivial, and seems like
 > a pretty bizarre thing to do if the author didn't intend it to
 > be used on Linux in the first place.  (Which we can infer from the
 > choice of distribution method.)

I hope the additional background info might make you giving a few little
hints? *hopes*

   Markus