changing the List's behaviour?

Bob Gailer bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
Sun Jul 27 16:55:28 EDT 2003

At 10:41 PM 7/27/2003 +0200, meinrad recheis wrote:
>i am very annoyed by the List's index out of bouds exception
>it forces me to complicate my code by adding length checking
>
>i might be spoilt by Ruby which returns nil for not existing indices.
>i want to change the List so that it returns None if the index for
>accesssing list elements
>is out of bound.
>
>i am not very experienced in python, so i ask you for suggestions.

Why is your code generating indexes that are out of range in the first place?

You can always use try - except to catch index errors in the (hopefully)
few places where there is a legitimate reason for an out of bound index.

Returning None is not a good idea, as None could be a value in the list.
But you can create a subclass of list with its own __getitem__ method that
checks bounds and returns None.

Bob Gailer
bgailer at alum.rpi.edu
303 442 2625