Any pure-python relational databases?

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Sun Jul 13 10:08:59 EDT 2003

DM> On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:43:25 -0700, Wayne Pierce paused, took a deep
DM> breath, then came out with:

>>> 2) Any kind of relational DBMS written in pure python that'll run on
>>> 1.5.2?
>>
>> While not relational, have you looked at Metakit?
>>
>> http://www.equi4.com/metakit/python.html

DM> I got Metakit to compile for Python 1.5.2 without undue drama, just a
DM> couple of makefile hacks.

DM> Uploaded the shared lib and the python wrapper to the host, and it runs
DM> just fine.

DM> What a sweet little dbms!

You must, however, be aware of multitasking issues, certainly on a web
site. When more than one request comes in at your site at approximately
the same time and they want to make modifications in your database, the
modifications may interact in a non-intended way, even to the point that
they may corrupt your database. Some file locking should be applied to
serialize the updates (and probably the reads as well with respect to the
updates). Metakit doesn't have record locking, unfortunately.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum at hccnet.nl