Using Loops to track user input

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Mon Jul 21 10:41:50 EDT 2003

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 22:50:55 -0400, rumours say that Peter Hansen
<peter at engcorp.com> might have written:

>Gerhard Häring wrote:
>>
>> hokiegal99 wrote:
>> > I don't understand how to use a loop to keep track of user input. Could
>> > someone show me how to do what the program below does with a loop?
>>
>> Your text book or tutorial should show that quite well, but here we go:
>[snip]
>> If your prof is any good, (s)he reads this newsgroup as well ;-)
>
>You missed this one Gerhard.  In another thread, hokiegal99 already
>told us "I am a funeral director trying to write a small program that
>calculates the number of years, months and days a person has lived by
>entering the year, month and day of their birth. ..."

This is true.  However, doesn't hokiegal99's comment at the start of the
example code:

> #Write a program that reads 10 numbers from the user and prints out the
> sum of those numbers.

seem a little 'textbookish'?  Who's the first person of this imperative
sentence, and who's the user? :)  Although it's not improbable that
hokiegal99 is indeed a funeral director having their first contact with
programming using a textbook.  I remember that it took me a couple of
days to understand loops (at the age of eleven)...

BTW computers really spoil us... now that I visited the memory lane, I
recall that, having a chemistry exam at the age of seventeen, it took me
a quarter of an hour to solve a generic exercise and ten more minutes to
remember how to do a division by pen and paper (ok, I should take
anxiety into account, but it's still funny :)
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,