Library for pop over ssl?

Donn Cave donn at
Wed Jul 16 06:18:12 CEST 2003

Quoth JanC <usenet_spam at janc.invalid>:
| Marco Herrn <herrn at> schreef:
|> Hi, I know of poplib, which does what I need except that it doesn't
|> support SSL encryption. imaplib has SSL-support. But I want it with
|> pop3. Is there a library available that does this or do I have to
|> implement it myself?
| You can always use stunnel to SSL-ize a "normal" protocol...
| <>

You can also SSL-ize a protocol in Python.  I'm surprised to read
that imaplib has SSL support, because I don't see it in the library
module searching by 'ssl' or 'SSL'.  I've had to do it the Python way,
so to speak:  subclass IMAP4, implement a fileobject-like object, etc.
This should be feasible for POP3 as well - a quick look suggests that
it might be enough to copy its __init__ and rewrite it.  The fileobject
emulation is to get pop3.file.readline et al. to call

	Donn Cave, donn at