Securing the Pyton Interpreter?

Stephen VanDahm usenet at fomps.net
Tue Jul 15 07:42:02 EDT 2003

I'm looking for a way to install Python on a UNIX machine in a way such
that any user on the system can use it, but only to execute scripts that
are located in a certain directory.  I do not have root access on the
machine that will be running Python, so my options are limited.  I thought
about hacking the Python interpreter itself so that it will examine the
argument array and exit with an error if the script to be executed isn't
in the appropriate directory, but this seems pretty risky.  The module
'site.py' is imported automatically upon initialization -- I've thought of
adding the check there instead.  I don't think either of these solutions
are very elegant.  Is there a better way?

Thanks for your time,

Steve VanDahm
vandahm at norge.freeshell.org