anything like C++ references?

Jack Diederich jack at performancedrivers.com
Sun Jul 13 17:16:55 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 03:05:38PM -0500, Ian Bicking wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 14:39, Stephen Horne wrote:
> > The fact is that 'assignment' has a common meaning separate from the
> > choice of programming language,
>
> This just isn't true.  The C++ assignment operator is not at all like
> the Python assignment statement.  Python variables are not like C++
> variables, no surprise assignment is different too.  If you used
> languages outside of C++ and its like (e.g., Pascal), you would find
> Python's behavior common.

C++ is the only language that has the same semantics as C++.

I was a long time C++ guy and my a-ha moment was when I realized that the
GoF's "Design Patterns" were not all universal -- some are C++ specific.
Trying to force Python semantics into a C++ world view will leave you feeling
empty every time.  Drink the koolaid, python has a short learning curve.
If this is a problem - whatever you do - DONT TRY TO LEARN LISP.

If you want a more polished C++, use Java.  Python is in a different class
of languages.

-jack