anything like C++ references?

Erik Max Francis max at
Thu Jul 17 21:06:54 CEST 2003

Terry Reedy wrote:

> Minor nit: 'register' is not a mandate, but an ignorable suggestion.
> So a compiler either could or must ignore 'register' in able to make
> '&x' possible.

If the register keyword is present, then taking the address of the
variable is illegal, _whether or not_ the compiler ultimately decides to
turn the varible into a register.

> Of course, the idea of ignorable keyword suggestion is itself somewhat
> strange ;-)

It's in precisely the same class as inline.  They're optimization hints
to the compiler.  The implementation is under no obligation to honor
any, some, most, or all of such hints.

   Erik Max Francis && max at &&
/  \ You are my martyr / I'm a vestige of a revolution
\__/  Lamya