Collective memory

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Thu Jul 10 17:35:29 EDT 2003

Charles Richmond <richmond at ev1.net> wrote:
<Snip>
> int  *p, x, y;
>
> then:
>
>     y = x/*p;
>
> is quite different from:
>
>     y = x / *p;
>
> The first way, "/*" will begin a comment...the second way,
> you get the integer "x" divided by the integer pointed to by "p".

Ouch!! That is one reason code coloring is *important*.

I remember working in Fortran and being confused why the compiler was
not accepting the if statement, 'til we looked at the cards and saw it
was  a "1F" statement.
--
Walter It is difficult to get a man to understand something," wrote
Upton Sinclair, "when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."