Papers on Python

Andrew Dalke adalke at
Tue Jul 29 04:43:51 CEST 2003

> But then I got thinking. What are the 5 (or 6 or 7 or 10) most seminal
> papers in the history of Python in the opinion of members of this
> newgroups?

 - Lutz Prechelt's paper comparing C, C++, Perl, Java, Tcl, Python, and
    a couple more languages, all on the same non-trivial task

 - Greg Stein's paper at the San Jose conference (1998), on how his
     company used Python to make a commercial web app then sold it
     to Microsoft - helped convince me people could make money doing Python

  - not really a paper, but reading through the tutorial and the library
     back in 1997 were what convinced me that Python was the language for
     It still took 2 years before I could use it -- too much preexisting Tcl
and Perl

                    dalke at