Any open source utilities built on top of PyUnit?

Andrew Bennetts andrew-pythonlist at
Tue Jul 29 02:18:08 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 09:03:15AM -0700, J. Michael Hammond wrote:
> I've gone through the PyUnit documentation the decision comes down to
> this:  are there any utilities out there, built on top of PyUnit, that
> are gaining traction?  Say is there some kind of GUI package that
> allows easy "run these suites on these machines" sorts of things?  Or
> a test results reporting package?  Or any other things like that?

This is really orthogonal to what unit test library (and what language!) you
use, but BuildBot ( can automatically run
tests on various machines for you when you checkin to your source
repository.  I believe there's also a "try" command in the works, so you can
tell BuildBot to "try" a set of changes on various buildslaves, to check
that you haven't broken anything unexpected (and without needing to checkin
your code to find out).

Also, Twisted ( has a PyUnit-like utility of its
own, Trial.  It is almost API-compatible with PyUnit, but comes with a handy
command-line utility, 'trial', that lets you specify which tests to run on
the command-line, e.g.:

    trial mypackage.tests             # run all tests in mypackage.tests
    trial mypackage/tests             # ditto
    trial mypackage.tests.test_foo    # run all testcases in
    trial mypackage/tests/ # ditto
    # run only one testcase
    trial mypackage.tests.test_foo.BarTestCase
    # run only one test method
    trial mypackage.tests.test_foo.BarTestCase.test_baz

I find this to be a much nicer way to work than by sprinkling magic
    if __name__ == '__main__':

stanzas in all my tests, then having to figure out the right magic to write
a "" or something to run all the tests.

Hope this helps,