How does Mr. Martelli's Borg recipe work ?

Steven Taschuk staschuk at
Wed Jul 23 20:48:00 CEST 2003

Quoth John Roth:
> I can kind of understand the justification for the Borg pattern
> in Python releases before 2.2, because there was no way of
> creating a true singleton in those releases. However, in 2.2 and
> later, it's really easy to create one using new style classes.
  [...implementing singletons with __new__...]
> That being the case, I'd like to see the Borg pattern go the way
> of a fondly remembered hack that is no longer necessary.

Just out of curiosity: why do you prefer singletons to Borgs in
the first place?

(I don't see Borg as a hack to get the behaviour of a singleton; I
see it as a more direct way to solve the problem which singletons
are supposed to solve.  Thus to me Borg is actually preferable, in
those exceedingly rare cases when that problem actually arises.)

Steven Taschuk                             staschuk at
"I may be wrong but I'm positive."  -- _Friday_, Robert A. Heinlein