Python is a gem ,another successful day ....

Stephen Ferg steve at ferg.org
Mon Jul 7 14:24:48 EDT 2003

> I'd be interested in knowing some of the arguments you used to win over VB,
> as I've been asked to put a couple of articles together suggesting why VB
> users might consider switching to Python.

I really hope you're able to do those articles comparing Python and
VB.

I'm trying to promote Python within the Federal government, and my own
agency, the Bureau of Labor Statistics.  Right now, the chief
alternative at BLS to Python is Java, but not too long ago it would
have been VB and PowerBuilder.

Folks are moving away from PowerBuilder mostly because of concern
about the vendor's longterm support/viability, but VB actually may
rise again, as there is a small but noticeable groundswell of
discontent with Java's clumsiness and verbosity.

Bottom line: If we can develop materials making a convincing case for
Python compared to VB, there are situations where such material might
be of real help.

-- Steve Ferg