A story about Python... sort of

Behrang Dadsetan ben at dadsetan.com
Thu Jul 3 21:21:26 EDT 2003

Russell Reagan wrote:
> "F. GEIGER" <fgeiger at datec.at> wrote
>

>>[OT] That's not a pro, that's a con on the C++ side. And actually that's
>
> the
>
>>reason why there's so much bad C++ software. A C programmer first has to
>>forget C to be able to program in C++ - well, to be able to program OO in
>>C++.
>

> C++ is not an OO language. It is a multi-paradigm language that happens to
> support OO features. No one is required to program OO in C++. It's even very
> debatable if it's better to program OO in C++.

We are getting very philosophical here and I guess we are getting a
little off-topic, but what is an OO language? Isn't one that supports OO
features? Ok, You can write C code and compile it with a C++ compiler,
but does it disqualify C++ as being a OO language?

The advantages you talk about writing C and using a C++ compiler are
pretty weak. C++ is certainly not just about the "typedef" feature... It
is a very powerfull language that can be used to express exactly what
you want the computer to do, and in the same time kind of abstract
details to a level where you can still see what your program was written
for. Agreed, it is a terrificly complex language all together, but it
has its use. If you actually respect the thousand rules from M. Meyer
plus a few from M. Lakos, you can build very reliable and stable
applications. If you are a genius or have some technique and experience,
you can even have a somewhat bigger code where you still have an overview.

The big disadvantage to its C compatibility is that lots of people
beleive they have C++ experience and present themselves at C++ jobs. You
just need an IT management which has no clue about OO technology/C++
(managers that understand anything at this level are in minority) and
you soon have a C programmer who used a C++ compiler converted into a
Java programmer. Little after you will see something really funny, C
compiled by a Java programmer. Is Java therefore not a OO language? I
mean Java will allow C programmers to build classes with only static
methods, with classes of 6000 lines without constructor and all
variables declared as public class members? I have seen this, and I am
not exagerating at all in the description... it actually took me two
days to understand why I did not understand how the programmer cut the
program. Yes, I was naive enough to think one can only write OO in Java,
like in the advert.

Anyway, let us talk about something else, I hate being reminded how
often our IT industry has been guarenteeing our jobs life-time by making
every thing more complicated and more expensive instead of making things
simpler and cheaper as we were entrusted to do. Note that I do not think
we do that on purpose :-)

That said, python does make life easier in many occasions, so there is
maybe some hope that a little tiny community of our IT industry is not
reaping off our dear sponsors (IT users including IT people).

Thanks pyguys for your beautiful contribution, please continue just as
you are now. You have been doing a wonderful job. If you could only
replace VB for all the usages it has now, and convince the planet of
that as well, I would be thankful for ever. :)

Ben.