[OT] SCO is Going After End Users

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Tue Jul 22 06:33:41 EDT 2003

On 22 Jul 2003, Paul Boddie wrote:

> clpy.NOSPAM at russellsalsbury.com (Russ Salsbury) wrote in message news:<4868482a.0307211336.4ca9493a at posting.google.com>...
> >
> > I realize that this is OT, but SCO's action strikes at the heart of
> > Open Source.  Somebody with the right patents can try to tax or shut
> > down the rest of us, regardless of the validity of their claims.  If
> > IBM, Red Hat, and the  decide that the the cost of settling is less
> > than the cost of litigation, we all loose.  Fortunally, the claim
> > against IBM is so big, $3B that they may fight it instead of settling.

> But thanks for the reminder that we really are lucky to be able to use
> technologies and tools like Python, that the climate in which they
> have been developed has so far been favourable to such innovation, and
> that we should strive to maintain such a favourable environment
> through the appropriate forums and channels.

I hope GvR never put any propriatary Fortran, Pascal or Basic source code
into Python. Otherwise SCO-like firms will claim they own Python because
of for-loop and some comments they found in Python source, representing
their best IP to date.

Sincerely yours, Roman A.Suzi
--
 - Petrozavodsk - Karelia - Russia - mailto:rnd at onego.ru -