Collective memory

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at news.widomaker.com
Tue Jul 8 15:21:31 EDT 2003

In article <bec993c8.0307080602.7d5d132e at posting.google.com>, Tim Shoppa wrote:

> And it's not the same as Makefiles, either.  Everybody has at one time
> been bitten by how 8 spaces is not at all the same in a Makefile as
> one tab; and it doesn't help that with many editing/viewing tools that it
> is impossible to see the difference.

Listing one bad thing to defend another?

I hate that part of make too.

However, its very easy to tab a makefile properly, because the logic
is implicit in the rule sets.  You just find each rule and indent its
members properly.  It's not ambiguous.

You also get an error... in Python, you'll just have a different flow of
logic, which may or may not show errors.

As long as you are strict and careful, Python is OK, but I will likely
never like invisible flow-control characters.  In makefiles either... :)

>> > Python uses it for actually determining the logic in your program, which
>> > IMHO is dangerous.
>
> Again, it is certainly no use than Makefiles.

Heh heh... I agree...

>> Well, no matter WHAT the language, I find tabs are evil little things
>> that introduce special cases and the need for code to handle them.
>
> Compare that to all the punctuation marks that *some* other languages require.
> Remember the Dilbert where PHB complains that his programmers are using
> way too many semicolons? :-)

Don't get me started on code reviews by non-programmers.

Somewhere I have one saved, that I still can't figure out.