Server Push

Van Gale news at exultants.org
Sat Jul 5 01:17:22 EDT 2003

Irmen de Jong wrote:
> John Bradbury wrote:
>
>> I want to send updates from a long running cgi.  I have tried copying
>> perl
>> examples of server push and can not get them to work.
>> Does anyone have an idiot proof example of a working server push or
>> sending
>> output in chunks in Python?
>
> to work). The other method is just flushing your output and
> continue to write more data...

I don't know the details, so this is hearsay, but there's another way
apparently used by KnowNow (www.knownow.com) to implement a 2-way web
interface.  Each browser page has 3 frames, one of which is hidden and
is receiving non-ending Javascript from the server (which apparently
modifies a visible frame as it comes it comes in).  This lets them do
some slick things like auto-completion in web forms.

(Apologies to John for not providing any actual help with this post :/)

Van