anything like C++ references?

Adam Ruth owski at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 16 16:27:23 EDT 2003

In <donn-F604B9.12121916072003 at nntp3.u.washington.edu> Donn Cave  wrote:
> In article <20030716123907246-0600 at news.xmission.com>,
>  Adam Ruth <owski at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> In <donn-6E63A0.10284316072003 at nntp1.u.washington.edu> Donn Cave
>> wrote:

>> You are correct, 'really need' is not much of an argument.  The
>> statement I disagreed with was that it was bad to simulate pointers
>> in  those situations where "you really can't avoid pointers".  I was
>> expressing that really aren't any such situations, and that it's even
>> worse try to simulate pointers when it's not really necessary.
>
> OK, there really aren't any situations where you can't avoid
> pointers ... so you're ready with a solution to the problem
> I posed above?
>
> Class scope containers that hold exactly one item, to pick a
> commonly seen usage that I suppose is a simulated pointer -
> that's really not necessary, and it's "even worse" (than what?)
>
>    Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu

"Even worse" doesn't make much sense, there, does it?  I meant, faking
pointers isn't bad because a pointer would be better, but faking
pointers is bad because you don't need a pointer.  That makes more sense.

As for your problem on the subscript operator, I think my solution is:
there's no problem.  Having the get and set asymetric is preferrable, in
my view.  For example, I use it in a number of places where I cache the
set operation:

def __getitem__(self, name):
	if name in self.cache:
		return self.cache[name]
	else:
		return someLongOperation(name)

def __setitem__(self, name, value):
	self.cache[name] = value

There are other reasons to have them as separate operations, but this is
one that I have in a project I'm on now.  I think of them as logically
separate operations, not necessarily opposite sides of the same coin.

Adam Ruth