Python vs. Perl vs. PHP?

Fazer faizan at jaredweb.com
Thu Jul 31 20:23:23 CEST 2003

Gerhard Häring <gh at ghaering.de> wrote in message news:<mailman.1059640670.9792.python-list at python.org>...
> Fazer wrote:
> > [...]  I am basically looking for a FAST
> > alternative to PHP meaning the responce time is fast.  Do you think
> > that Python with using the CGI module is a good solution?
>
> No, CGI is not a good solution in this case, no matter what the language
> (except those perverts who use something like C with dietlibc for this).
>
> The base technology to make web requests fast in Python is something
> like mod_python or a Python application server. On top of this I'd
> recommend you use a Python web framework, of which there are numerous
> ones. The hard part is to evaluate them and choose one.
>
> FWIW I'm currently using Quixote running with mod_scgi against Apache,
> mostly because I was fed up with the (lack of) Webware documentation,
> which I tried first.
>
> -- Gerhard

Thanks for the reply!  I think I am going to give mod_python a try.
Would I have to be root to install mod_python?  Because that's one of
my biggest concerns.  I don't have root and I don't want to work on my
windows machine since I am kind of more comfortable working on a Linux
platform.

Basically, most of my Python scripts would just be accessing the MySQL
database and just printing out various data.